The MIDL Board is inviting interested researchers to bid for organizing the MIDL 2021 conference. If we receive multiple strong bids, we may also already decide on MIDL 2022.
- June, 2019
Submission of an expression of interest. Include a short description of the organizing team and location. We will provide feedback on any bid and provide a bid template. We aim for interested parties to submit a full bid shortly after MIDL 2019.
- July 8-10, 2019
At MIDL 2019 in London, we will organize a meeting with the MIDL Board and those who expressed interest to organize MIDL 2021 or 2022. We will have an open discussion about where we see MIDL going. Prospective organizers can briefly present their bid.
- August, 2019
Submission of full/final bid proposals.
- September, 2019
We hope to make decisions for MIDL 2021 and possibly MIDL 2022 in September.
If you are interested in applying, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
The 2018 and 2019 editions of MIDL were organized with support and financial guarantees of local institutions and local funds from the organizers. We also used the small profits from previous editions for upfront payments for the venue or gala dinner. The 2020 edition will likely be organized in a similar fashion. If MIDL does not grow much, it should be possible to stick to this way of organizing the conference. An alternative, and probably a necessity if MIDL grows, is to use a company that supports the organization of MIDL and takes financial risks. We are likely able to provide support from such a company and hope to provide details at MIDL 2019. For now, it would be good to indicate in the bid a tentative budget and possibilities to take local financial responsibility for scenarios from 300 to 1200 participants.
Contents of the bidbook
- Proposed location (city), motivation for the location
- Accessibility of the location
- Proposed dates (3 full days), early July is the target, compare collisions with other events in the city
- Proposal for general chairs, program chairs, local organizers, advisors (names, google scholar profile link). We encourage bids supported by diverse and inclusive teams.
- Suggestions for venues, preferably multiple, with capacity for attendees (single track) and posters
- Cost estimation for venues, with food/catering, strong/weak points of the venues
- Optional: possibilities of local sponsorship, e.g., by university, tourism/conference office
- Possibilities for hotels/lodging near/in the venue
- Budget estimates for upfront payments, if any
- Tentative schedule for key dates (to be discussed with MIDL Board)
- Ideas to attract and support young researchers, and general ideas for the conference, e.g., attract different audiences like clinicians, industry, minorities and underrepresented groups, special events, etc
- Ideas/suggestions/motivations for changes w.r.t. previous editions
- Suggestions/ideas for keynote speakers